AltArt is an NGO that promotes digital culture and aims to strengthen the Romanian cultural sector. AltArt contributes to promoting the impact of culture on societal development through research, debates, networking and policy work. Its projects involve the development of interactive platforms, a series of mixed reality events exploring new cultural dimensions through the use of the Internet and new technologies, workshops, exhibitions, live art events etc. AltArt projects deal with topics related to public space, urban regeneration, identity and social relations in digital space.
- Pata-Cluj – a series of artistic interventions and cultural education activities as part of an integrated approach to the social inclusion of the Roma community in Pata Rât;
- Visible City – contemporary art works are exhibited in the urban space;
- Artizen – the urban and social reactivation of some transition areas of the city of Cluj;
- Samples – a series of dance performances and augmented reality in public space;
- Future Forecast – reflection on urban contemporary life by artists and scientists, public art;
- E-Tribal Art – artistic interventions in the texture of electronic tribes;
- Bare Share – analysis of the culture of sharing in Romania;
- Synchroni-Cities – a game like platform for urban exploration in Europe;
- Terra Incognita – a series of interactive mixed reality exploring events, tackling social, cultural and political issues at stake;
- Press Repeat Sam – interactive film workshop;
- DIY workshops a.o.
AltArt contributed to the development of the cultural strategy of the city of Cluj and to various initiatives of the civil society in Romania to improve cultural policies. Since 2006 AltArt has participated actively in A Soul for Europe a Europe wide initiative promoting the strategic role of culture for European development. In 2009, AltArt has established together with other Cluj based organisations and artists Fabrica de Pensule, an independent space for contemporary arts.
AltArt projects have been supported by: European Union (Culture 2000, Lifelong Learning, Phare), European Cultural Foundation, Romanian National Cultural Fund, Romanian Ministry of Culture, Romanian Cultural Institute, Pro Helvetia, Goethe Institute, British Council a.o.